Sunday 4 October 2015

Day 23 - Unfinished Business - Thredbo Village to Eagles Nest

As it turns out, the Merrit walking trail to Mt K is closed. Pity we didn't find this out until we got down from as high up as we could get.

Our bike ride has been book ended by warm weather, with cool weather in between. This has conspired against our quest for the summit. Some late season snow and the current warm temperatures   have made the upper reaches slushy and impassable with our standard walking attire.

We manfully gained the Eagle Nest after several aborted attempts. Fearing crevasses and after talking to the girl behind the counter, we reluctantly turned back.

I think the chairlift operator felt sorry for us so he gave us the ride down for free.

My comments on the Thredbo Villiage. I have no comment except to say that wandering around the ski fields for four hours I found 15 cents. If I'd stayed for another few weeks I could have found enough cash for an FUIC in any shop on SA. I would have had to stay an extra few months to buy one in the village bakery. 15 cents is also the change you get from $25 when you buy a pie and sausage roll.

My comment on global warming. If global warming is true, we could have walked to the summit with our hands in our pockets.


Stream half way up Mt K

The first snow up the walking trail to Mt K




Look at notices before you start

Hard to find your way - sign posts missing and snow obscuring the trail

No comments:

Post a Comment